Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Honey? Sugar? God?

It's Testimony Tuesday!


From Confessions of an Evangelical Atheist:

Of course, while studying chemistry, I learned that there is no difference between refined table sugar and "natural" sugars. This is a minor point, but given the black and white distinctions I had nurtured, it was shocking. It was a first step to questioning all of my beliefs.

Amanda's journey feels very familiar. I love how her story leaps from the chemistry of sugar to the question of salvation for Hindus. It's a long read, but well worth the time.

While I didn't grow up Seventh Day Adventist, SDA Bible stories and studies were a strong influence in our home. We listened faithfully to "Your Story Hour" and we regularly ordered natural foods--like honey--from the SDA warehouse. Some of the labels were inscribed with Bible verses. Even so, I knew Adventists didn't believe in eternal hellfire, so I wondered if that was exactly where they were headed, all their good health in this life notwithstanding.




No comments:

Post a Comment